I love tabouleh because its such a refreshing salad that is loaded with the detoxifying benefits of parsley, not to mention its an excellent source of iron!
Quinoa, the Peruvian seed, is the perfect balanced ratio of protein and carbs with loads of amino acids for muscles!
1 cup dried quinoa, rinsed several times in cold water until the “soapiness” disappears, unless you buy pre-washed
2 cups filtered water
3 bunches flat leafed Italian parsley (this one has more flavour than curly leaf)
1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half or quarters
½ red onion chopped finely
1/4 cup chopped mint
3 tbsp hemp seeds
4 tbsp cold-pressed olive oil
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon/lime juice
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced or shredded
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp Himalayan pink salt or sea salt
Dash pepper (optional)
- Place water in a small pot (1L) and add the dried quinoa with lid until it comes to a boil and then turn the heat off. Keep lid on pot and your quinoa will be done in 20-25 minutes without the use of all that gas/electricity!
- Rinse and pat the parsley and mint dry (its very important that it is dry or when you go to put it in the food processor to chop, it will go stringy and not chop up nicely). Place it in a food processor and pulse to chop finely. Alternately, you can use your hands and a sharp knife and engage your shoulder muscles and biceps and chop away!
- In a large salad bowl, tomatoes, red onion, quinoa, parsley/min and hemp seeds.
- In a blender add all vinaigrette ingredients and blend well. If it is too thick add a little filtered water.
- Pour dressing over salad, mix and enjoy. Will keep in fridge for up to 4 days.