Did you know that jackfruit originates from Southern India and Western Cultures have been in contact with it for about 5,000 years?
When I was living in Bali this past fall and winter, I never tried it because it was so smelly and weighed a ton. To my surprise, I found it at Well Well Well, my local health food store in St. Catharines, Ontario…..so I had to buy it and try it – without the smell!
This fruit tastes similar to banana and pineapple yet when you cook it and add the right spices and sauces, it tastes like meat – no kidding – really!
I created this vegan & gluten-free hearty main dish using jackfruit because it tastes like stewed beef.
It is high in fiber, so its a natural laxative and an excellent source of B6, C and potassium and magnesium.
4 cups organic cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 cups carrots, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 red, orange and yellow pepper cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup cubed pumpkin
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 mango (optional), peeled and cut into small cubes
200g jackfruit, I used https://ecoideas.ca
2 cloves garlic, minced
2″ piece ginger, peeled and grated
juice from 1/2 fresh lime
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 can coconut milk
1-2 cups filtered water
2 tbsp turmeric
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
4 tbsp chopped cilantro or parsley for garnishing
- Heat coconut oil in a 4L pot on medium-high heat.
- Add onions, garlic and ginger and saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Place cauliflower, carrots and pumpkin, stir and cook for 3-5 minutes and then add peppers.
- Pour the rest of the liquid ingredients and add your spices. Place lid on top of pot and bring to a slight boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, then let sit for 5 minutes. Add the chopped mango if using and top with fresh chopped cilantro.
- Serve with brown basmati rice. I used https://lundberg.com