This syrup is quite easy to make but it requires patience. It is important to allow it to simmer for quite a while to extract the active ingredients and the toxins created by the seeds too.
Elderberries have potent immune strengthening antioxidants which makes this nature’s cold and flu remedy!
Make sure your elderberries are free from stems and organic!
Makes 1 cup* (Recipe may be doubled)
50g dried elderberries
3/4 cup pure unpasteurized honey http://beekeepersnaturals.com
- Rinse the elderberries in cold water. Place them in a medium sized sauce pan with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 40-45 minutes, stirring once in while.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Strain the berries, reserving the liquid which should be about 1 cup.
- Return the liquid on the stove and place over medium heat.
- Add the honey and stir, reducing to a simmer. Continue to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Pour into a glass mason jar and store in the fridge.
***If you are using this syrup as prevention 1 tbsp pure, 1x day is enough. If your immune system is compromised, then 1tbsp 4x day is necessary.