Did you know that many flowers are edible?
Zucchini flowers are a delicacy here in Canada because they are not easy to find. I planted zucchini this season and I had extra, so I picked the flowers. In Italy, these delicious, crispy, battered and deep fried morsels are on every table at lunchtime! I made mine vegan and gluten-free and pan-fried them instead, so everyone can enjoy them – I hope you will too!
12 Florets (do NOT wash them, but do check inside for insects)
2 cups avocado oil for frying
1 1/4 cup chickpea flourCannot get other user media. API shut down by Instagram. Sorry. Display only your media.
1 cup water
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
- In a small sauce pan, pour about 1cm avocado oil and heat on med-high.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk flour, water, sea salt and baking soda until well blended.
- Dip each floret, one at a time, into batter and place only 2-3 florets in hot oil at a time. Crowding the frying pan will result in oil-drenched, soggy zucchini florets.
- Using tongs, gently turn each floret to cook on other side. When golden brown, remove and place florets on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Sprinkle Herbamare or your favorite seasoning and eat while still warm.