My inspiration for this “breadless” sandwich came because I wanted to increase my protein and decrease carbs and eliminate gluten – VOILA!
My dad tried this and I was blown away that he actually liked it. In fact, he ate it all and he had never had tofu in his 81 years of life!
The tasty trick here, my dear followers, is to marinate the tofu and use my pesto – it makes everything taste so delicious!
Makes 4 meal sized sandwiches
Ingredients for Tofu Marinade:
1/2 package sprouted FIRM tofu https://solcuisine.com , sliced width wise into 8 even slices
2 tbsp sesame seed oil
1 tbsp hemp oil (olive oil is OK too) https://manitobaharvest.com
4 tbsp tamari or coconut aminoshttps://coconutsecret.com
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup filtered water
- In a small bowl, place all ingredients except tofu and whisk well.
- Place tofu in the bowl and make sure it is all covered with marinate. Here, you might need to add a bit more water.
- Let sit in fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from fridge and pan fry using just the marinade as oil for the frying pan. Alternately, you could BBQ the tofu slices.
Ingredients for Sandwiches:
1/4 yellow/orange/red pepper, sliced into 8 thin slices
1/4 avocado, sliced into 4 thin slices
4 thin raw zucchini slices (i used a mandolin for this which made it so easy)
3 tbsp pesto sauce (check out my recipes)
4 tbsp raw fermented kraut (check out my recipes)
sprouts (I used what I had on hand – pea shoots)
Directions for assembling:
- Spread 1 tsp of pesto sauce on one piece of tofu.
- Place zucchini, kraut, pepper, avocado and sprouts – in this order.
- Put another piece of tofu on top and stick a long toothpick in the middle to hold it together.
- Bon appetit!