Pancakes are not only for breakfast! Give these savory, fluffy, high fiber, gluten-free flapjacks a try for lunch or dinner with a side salad and my delicious creamy pesto yogurt sauce!
Makes 6-8 pancakes
1/2 onion, chopped finely
1 cup frozen kale
1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
1 tsp each cumin and turmeric
1/2 tsp kelp
1/2 cup each millet and chickpea flour
1 cup baked sweet potato, peeled
1 cup broth (or water)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- In a skillet on medium heat, saute onion with ghee for 3-4 minutes, mixing with a wooden spoon to avoid burning.
- Add spices and continue to saute for another few minutes.
- Add kale and kelp and saute until kale is cooked and not frozen, a few more minutes and then set aside.
- In a food processor, blend sweet potato and eggs. Add broth/water and mix well. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add flours, baking powder, sea salt and nutritional yeast and onion and kale mixture. Mix with a whisk until well blended.
- On medium high heat, brush a small or medium skillet with some ghee or coconut oil. Reduce heat to medium and pour 1/2 cup batter in the centre of the skillet.
- Flip pancake when small bubbles start to form on top of it.
- For the sauce, take 1/2 cup plain goat/sheep yogurt and add 1 tbsp pesto sauce and mix well. Use as a topping for your pancakes.