In this creamy, hearty and smoky flavored soup, I didn’t just use any ol’shroom, I used shiitake!
These fungi (fun-gee) are a good source of vitamin C, D, iron, fiber, plant based protein and phytonutrients. Phytonutrients are plant nutrients and they are the immune system of that fruit or vegetable so they help strengthen our immune system, protect us from inflammation and infections and they are anti-aging. In this class of, what I like to call “medicinal” mushrooms (no, not the psychedelic kind!), we can add chaga, reishi, maitake, lion’s mane and cordyceps.
I sprinkled Foursignmatic’s 10 mushroom blend http://rawelements.ca which is a combination of all these beneficial ‘shrooms.
16 fresh shiitake mushrooms, lightly dry brushed to remove soil and cut into chunks
1 large leek, washed (remove and discard outer leaf) and cut the leek stalk into chunks
3 cloves garlic, minced or grated (I love to use my Microplane TM zester/grater)
4 tbsp olive oil http://acropolisorganics.com
4 cups filtered water (5 cups if you aren’t using coconut milk)
2-3 tbsp coconut cream (optional) http://earthschoice.ca
3 fresh sprigs thyme, take leaves off the stem
1 bay leaf
2 tsp sea salt (pepper to taste)
2 tsp Foursigmatic 10 Mushroom Blend http://rawelements.ca (USE CODE food4u to get 10%off)
- In a medium pot (2-3L), place garlic and olive oil and sautee for a few minutes on medium heat.
- Add the leeks and continue to saute for a few more minutes. Add the fresh shiitake mushrooms and continue stirring for another few minutes.
- Add the water, thyme and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Cover pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Let soup cool on the stove for 15 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a high speed blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Transfer pureed soup back to pot and bring to a simmer for a few minutes. Turn heat off and add sea salt and pepper or a pinch of cayenne pepper if you like it spicy! If using the coconut cream, add it at this time and stir well.
- Place soup in individual bowls and sprinkle 1/2 tsp of the 10 Mushroom Blend. Dozo omeshiagarikudasai = Enjoy your meal in Japanese.