Chocolate Cake is my favorite dessert. Here is my healthy spin on a traditional Austrian chocolate cake.
Its grain-free, sweetened with coconut sugar which is low on the glycemic index and has only the finest raw cacao from Ecuador.
I used my Zia Irene’s homemade apricot jam for the filling and made a simple dark chocolate glaze for the icing.
1 can/540ml/19oz Organic BPA free black beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp Organic cacao powder
5 organic free range eggs
½ cup organic coconut sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil or sunflower oil
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
½ tsp fine sea salt
Rind of 1 orange
8-10 tbsp apricot jam
200g Organic dark chocolate (50-70%)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line the bottom of an 8” cake pan with parchment paper.
- Place drained beans, 3 of the eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt and orange rind in a food processor and blend well until beans are completely liquefied.
- In a large bowl, beat oil, adding 2 remaining eggs, one at a time, until light and fluffy. Add to bean mixture and blend well.
- In a small bowl, sieve cacao powder, baking powder and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients and beat on high for about 1 minute or until smooth.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and place in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. Cake is done when top is rounded and flat and firm to the touch.
- Let cool 15-20 minutes. Cut cake in half horizontally with a string (see my video below) and place about 8 tbsp apricot jam on bottom half, spreading evenly towards the edges. Place other half on top and place in refrigerator while preparing the chocolate glaze.
- In a double broiler (fill a small pot with about 2-3 cm water and place a glass or aluminum bowl on top, making sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Water has to boil, then reduce to simmer), place the dark chocolate bar, cut into small pieces, into the bowl and stir with wooden spoon until just melted. Remove from heat and let cool 5-10 minutes.
- Pour melted chocolate slowly over cake and cover completely. Refrigerate immediately to set chocolate. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving. Cut cake with long sharp knife by placing knife in hot water first, then drying off any dripping water and cutting. This will ensure a perfect, clean cut and slice. IMG_4372