Feelings are the texture of the soul~Anodea Judith
A strong, balanced foundation allows us to move upwards to our sacral chakra!
Our second chakra or Svadhisthana is located in the hips, low back, lower abdomen and genitals and includes our sexual organs. It relates to the bladder, kidneys, urinary tract and reproductive system. Its element is water and where water flows, emotions, desires, wants, needs, feelings and sensations flow too. However, persistent problems in any of these areas could signify unresolved issues in this chakra.
Psychologically, the sacral chakra is related to our emotional identity and self-gratification.
The sacral chakra calls us to stand on our own two firm feet and define our sexual and emotional issues. Once our material, survival needs are met, we have the desire to connect with others through intimacy and sexuality. In addition, we have the need to be in touch with ourselves by knowing and experiencing what we feel. There is a desire to be connected not only to ourselves inwardly but outwardly with others too in intimate relationships.
Being balanced in this second chakra allows us to be open to pleasure.
Pleasure promotes well-being and healing.
Pleasure comes to us through our senses:
seeing, feeling, smelling, touching and tasting
When we open our senses, we become sensible not senseless! In other words, if our right to feel and experience pleasure on all levels is compromised, it creates guilt which is the demon of this second chakra. Guilt makes us suppress our feelings, emotions, wants, needs and desires and often promotes harmful activities or indulgences. This becomes problematic when guilt blocks feelings from entering our consciousness or when it blocks us from experiencing the basic pleasures of life.
Excessive characteristics of Svadhisthana
- sexual addictions
- obsessive attachments
- addiction to stimulation
- excessive mood swings
- excessively sensitive
- poor boundaries
- emotional dependency
Deficiency characteristics of Svadhisthana
- rigid beliefs, behavior or physical body
- fear of change
- lack of desire, passion, excitement
- avoidance of pleasure, fear of sexuality
- poor social skills
- excessive boundaries
Balanced Second Chakra
- graceful movements
- ability to embrace change
- emotional intelligence
- nurturing self and others
- healthy boundaries
- enjoying pleasure
- sexual satisfaction
Here are 5 tips to deepen your connection to your sacral chakra:
- FOOD – drink plenty of pure, filtered water in a glass or glass container. Perhaps invest in a Berkey or Santevia filtration system. Have more liquids during the day such as raw organic cold-pressed juices, protein shakes, mushroom elixir or turmeric lattes and herbal teas. Choose food orange in color such as melon, apricots, oranges, carrots, squash, sweet potato and red lentils.
- BODY – Hug someone. Make it a heart to heart hug: go in from the left shoulder instead of the right. Gently yet firmly hug and count to at least 10 while sending them positive, caring, empathetic and loving energy. Take a yoga class or stretch more and become more flexible in your attitude. Get your hormones tested to make sure they are balanced. Get at least 7-9 hours sleep and get to sleep by 10pm. Take extra vitamin C and B’s to help with the nervous system and stress.
- HOME – take a shower or bath with your favorite soap/shower gel, towel and dry brush your skin before getting wet. Make this a special ritual for yourself, one that you can derive pleasure from and enjoy giving yourself love and care. Dance freely or play music at home.
- ENVIRONMENT – spend time outdoors near water such as streams, rivers, lakes and waterfalls. If you are at a desk or sitting for a long period of time, get up and walk or stretch 30 minutes to keep your internal fluids moving.
- PRACTICES – Lying comfortably on your back with your knees bent, feet are hip-width distance apart and place your hands over your hips. Take a moment to tune into your second chakra and breath into the governing areas of the body. Push your feet into the floor and lift your pelvis, rocking it gently back and forth. Release and repeat the movement quickly. Repeat this mantra ” I enjoy the many pleasures that life has presented to me with gratitude.”