Cold Weather, Lack of Sun, Stress and SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) Can Weaken our Immune Defense System! These 5 Cold Busting, Immune Strengthening Must-Haves will Help!
The clocks went back 1 hour and the days are darker and colder. Our much admired yet secretly hated snowy Canadian winters are right around the corner! The biggest holiday season of the year– Christmas! It seems that when I was a little girl (not that long ago lol!), the holiday season started December 1st! Unfortunately, our consumerist society has pushed that back as far as November 1st ! That is almost 2 months before the ONE or TWO days of celebration with family and friends.
I call this period the SSISS – Super Stress Immune Suppression Season.
This is the season when our bodies get run down and our immune defenses get weakened. When this begins to happen we are more prone to developing infections. From the common sore throat, coughs, colds, flu, bronchitis, pneumonia, exhaustion, meltdown to complete organ or even whole system shut down!
I contribute this to many things not just unhealthy eating habits. Too often, we put pressure on ourselves to do it all and we are not able to say NO. I also believe our drive and desire to constantly want more, be more, and give more overtakes our ability to stay in the present moment. We need to look back and see how far we have traveled and live in the NOW and work with what we have!
We also neglect to properly nourish our bodies with enough sleep, nutrient dense organic food, herbs and supplements and choose the “go, go, go” and burn the “midnight oil” lifestyle.
Tis the season of late night festive parties! Those are usually combined with early workday mornings, a little too much spiked eggnog and workplace potlucks and cookie exchanges! Now, I’m not saying skip all that!
My solution is prevention and strengthen our immune system just like Ben Franklin, who said it best…
“An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure”!
Keep these items handy in your fridge or cupboard and use them NOW!
#1. Drink these immune strengthening, high antioxidant herbs and medicinal mushroom bevvies:
- Astragalus, chamomile, echinacea, ginger, holy basil/tulsi and turmeric herbal teas
- Turmeric lattes (chasorganics.com or check out my website for my homemade Turmeric Rose Latte)
- Reishi or Chaga mushroom elixirs (Visit “About” – “Recommended Products” and click on Raw Elements with Code food4u to get 10% off)
#2. Bee Propolis is nature’s antibiotic. It is the healing substance that bees make to protect their hive and keep it germ free.
- My favorite superfood honey company is Toronto-based https://beekeepersnaturals.com. They have an incredibly effective, naturally and ethically sourced propolis throat spray.
- It is paleo, gluten, dairy and ALCOHOL FREE with NO ADDED SUGARS and it tastes delicious!
#3. Vitamin C with bioflavinoids or lypo-spheric vitamin C and a multi-vitamin with extra B’s to nourish the nervous system aka anti-stress.
#4. Essential oils are used in aromatherapy and have been used for centuries.
- They stimulate smell receptors in our nose which then signals our nervous system and limbic system which works with the brain and emotions. All this within 15 seconds!
- Here are a few ways you can use them but please do a patch test on the inside of your forearm first by applying a drop and waiting at least 30 minutes to see if there is a reaction. If you do have a reaction, wash gently with warm water and apply coconut oil. Obviously do NOT use that particular essential oil.
- Put a few drops of Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, or Frankincense in your diffuser before bed or during the day if you are home in a room you spend lots of time in.
- Apply a few drops to some coconut oil (aka VICKS VAPORUB but no petroleum harmful products here!) and rub on your chest or under your nose.
- Sprinkle a few drops in your bath or if you shower add some to your facecloth and do inhalations with the steam of the shower!
#5. A green juice a day keeps the doctor away! Pure elderberry juice is also effective.
- Boost your juice with a teaspoon of acerola cherry or camu camu powder.